Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Why Mass Comm Students Must Learn Social Media Now!


Two weeks ago, I returned to my alma mater to speak to undergraduate Mass Comm students about the evolution of our industry. At the Louisiana State University (@lsu ), the Journalism college offers a wide range of concentrations including Political Communication (my degree program), Print Journalism, Broadcast Journalism, Advertising and Public Relations. The student I addressed are at the beginning of their long journey through the Manship School of Mass Communication . However, their enlightened professor Roxanne Dill recognized that social media will play a direct role in the future careers of her young students. I could not agree more.

The fact is every facet of the communications world now requires (or at least highly recommends) a social media component. I told the students "why we communicate as not changed!" Instead, "how we communicate has changed!" By the time the graduating class of 2013/2014 enters into the communications job market, social media will be in full onslaught swing.

Most, if not all, journalist will tease their next day print story with tweets about their investigations. In turn, after the story hits news stands they will use Facebook and blogs to tell the rest of the story that didn't get past the copy editors desk. Print journalist may use a small video camera to capture clips of their story research and build video clips that can be published online.

During one of my talks with students, I held up the LSU Daily Reveille, a student publication. On the front page was a story about the resurgence of New Orleans street bands and music. I explained...

"Now hear is a great story for print. It talks about something that is very important to the people of Louisiana and New Orleans, music. Now imagine if the same camera that took this great photo, also recorded video clips of the same band playing on the street corner. Let's say in the story conclusion, the reporter directs the reader to the LSUReveille.com website and there the reader can download iTunes clips from the artists and view a video of them performing. Now instead of just being a print journalist, I've added value to the newspaper website and increased interest in my story."

Of course, college is the perfect time to experiment with what's right and what's wrong, but that's just the first step. I encouraged the students to think beyond the boundaries of their particular field. Facts suggest, almost 200,000 students graduate each year with a degree in communications. My wish for LSU graduates is that they know how to "add value" to their particular field by being innovative and versatile!

Here is a recap from the Manship School of Mass Communication website, Dill and Whitney Breaux Team Up for Social Media.

I might be speaking to more students about social media in the near future, what would you recommend I advise them to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment