Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Why #BRSocMe? Why Now?

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's that LOYALTY is priceless and withstanding!


My Past?
The last 22 years (yes, that's how old I am, I think) of my life have been spent living, breathing and believing in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I attended East Baton Rouge Parish Schools for elementary, middle and high school. I then went on to bleed purple and gold at Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge.

Throughout this time when others were negative and slammed the BR (a/k/a Big Raggedy... and more) I attempted to uplift a city with soo much potential. Think about! Baton Rouge gave us Raising Canes (ohhh, i love the sauce), we're the International home of tailgating (thanks to SU and LSU) and when tragedy strikes this city comes together.

Now more than ever is the perfect opportunity for Baton Rouge residents to stand up and GO BR or be #BatonRougeProud! I look around me and remember a city that didn't have a downtown anything. In my hayday Citiplace and College Drive were consider downtown. I see the diversity, development and determination in the eyes of our leadership and say "WOW, we are headed in the right direction." I am so proud to be a resident (and now taxpayer) of Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

@VisitBatonRouge
When I interviewed at VisitBatonRouge.com, I told my soon-to-be boss "Baton Rouge has given me alot. A free education, a safe place to grow up and the confidence that I can do anything. So working here @VisitBatonRouge would be easy. Instead of selling the city, I'm able to share my personal story and success in Baton Rouge!" I've carried that attitude to work with me everyday. My friends and family are probably sick of hearing me say "I'm able to make a difference and impact people's perception of Baton Rouge, and I didn't have to get elected to public office to do it!"

#BRSocMe evolved from a meeting I hosted at VisitBatonRouge with the goal of bringing bloggers from around the Baton Rouge area to meet and network with each other. The goal was to increase the discussion of the city I love in the "blogosphere" and in #SocialMedia!

Why Me?
Instead of waiting for someone else to take the time to build the organization, I did it at my desk one morning and ran with it. It was important to me that social media users and professionals in Baton Rouge have the opportunity to meet, network and continue their development and education into the ever-changing world of social media. I wouldn't accept no for an answer. I may not have the most Twitter followers and my blog may be a newborn (*note: I've been on Facebook since 2005!), but I have the passion and heart (and time) to make #BRSocMe happen.




Where #BRSocMe is Headed?

Today, #BRSocMe is comprised of 140 members and growing. I am honored to serve this organization with five Board Members who share my enthusiasm and passion for BatonRouge Stephanie Sander (@stephsandy), Jay Ducote (@biteandbooze), James Fox-Smith (@countryroadsmag), Shannon Lane (@Cajun_Mama) and Lisa Stansberry (@louisianafoodie). We are determined to see Baton Rouge truly establish itself as the "Creative Capital of the South."

Our first full club meeting is April 29, 2010 at the Louisiana State Museum. Lunch is being provided FREE of charge by JimmyJohn's. Not only will we bring Baton Rouge social media users together, but we will have the opportunity to tour one of the unique treasurers in downtown Baton Rouge.

On September 29, 2010 Social Media Users from around the Gulf South will descend upon Baton Rouge for shared learning, networking and excitement as we host "#CoastalSocial 2010!" For more information visit http://www.coastalsocial.com/. We are updating the website daily with new speakers and conference information.

So... now if you wanted to know why... you know! Will you join us?

3 comments:

  1. I'm in! Oh wait, you knew that already! biteandbooze.com is fully behind #BRSocMe and #CoastalSocial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thanks Jay, but you already totally committed. My significant other calls you my #SocialMedia boyfriend.

    lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thank you for launching this. Right after South by Southwest, I stumbled on your organization and thought, "Goody, goody goody, now we can start our groovy cool social media scene!" BR is so cool, with so many good hearted souls and so much to do. I used to whine, "Why can't BR be cooler?" Then I realized you have to take your cool and pass it around. Never before has this been as possible as it is now with social media. Thanks for being the spark!

    ReplyDelete